Caltrans officials are hosting a special community meeting this evening to update the public on the 1-5 highway and Empire construction project in Burbank.
The improvements include:
- Adding carpool lanes between Magnolia Blvd. and Buena Vista St.
- Constructing a new interchange at I-5 and Empire Ave.
- Reconstructing the Burbank Blvd. overcrossing and realigning ramps
- Elevating the railroad at Buena Vista St. and San Fernando Blvd. and adjacent to Empire Ave.
- Improving the intersection at San Fernando Blvd/Victory Pl. and Lincoln St.
- Realigning and widening the Buena Vista St. ramps
The meeting will be held in room 104 of the City of Burbank Community Services Building at 150 N. Third Street at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 20, 2014.
Submissions are open for the 11th Annual Student Design Competition in Burbank. The theme of the contest this year is “Life on Mars.” High school students are asked to answer the question: “What would you design to meet the specific needs of Mars colony inhabitants?”
The contestants work in teams and are encouraged “… to research the proposed Mars One project that will attempt to colonize Mars in 2024,” then design their own “self-sufficient human settlement.”
The contest is sponsored by the city of Burbank Building Division. The deadline is April 1, 2014. Rules and more details here.
The Nick network is expanding. Nickelodeon has submitted to the city of Burbank a proposal for a 113,760 square-foot office building, up to five stories, to house its Nickelodeon Animation Studios.
The proposed office building would be located at 203 W. Olive Avenue., next to the main Nickelodeon studio campus at 231-239 W. Olive Avenue. The public review period for the project ends today. More details on the project and review process here.