News, entertainment, opinion, and whatever sparks interest in Burbank the Media City
Fronnie Lewis - Editor

Tag Archives | demonstrations

Curfew in Burbank and businesses take action

A curfew goes into effect in Burbank at 5 p.m. until 6 a.m. today and many businesses are taking action. Some, like the Apple computer specialist, MelroseMac, 2400 West Olive Avenue, are boarding up doors and windows preparing for the worst. Before the City of Burbank issued the order for a 5 p.m. curfew, plenty of chatter on social media and around town about protests planned for this afternoon at various places here. The protests are part of the national and global outrage over suspicious deaths and mistreatment of African... Read More →

Tags: , , , ,

Photo: FLLewis/Media City G -- Protesters waved signs and chanted near the parking lot entrance to the Hobby Lobby in Burbank July 9, 2014

Dueling demonstrations at Burbank Hobby Lobby

The new Hobby Lobby in Burbank was the scene of not one but two demonstrations late yesterday. On the sidewalk, near the entrance to the parking lot, a group of demonstrators gathered with protest signs.They’re upset with the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision, which allows Hobby Lobby to opt out of providing certain contraceptives  through the company’s employee health insurance plan. The evangelical Christian family who own the national chain claim birth control like “I-U-Ds” and “morning-after” pills go against their pro-life religious beliefs. Jan Hines of North... Read More →

Tags: , , , , ,

Photo: FLLewis/Media City G -- SEIU-UHW picketers demonstrated in front of Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank June 19, 2012

Labor trouble at Burbank hospital

A noisy picket line on West Alameda Avenue in front of Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank yesterday drew stares from many and horn blasts of support from some motorists. The demonstrators marched, blew whistles, and waved picket signs for several hours. Paul Matakiewicz, chief negotiator for SEIU-UHW, says 80 members took part in the demonstration, which he characterized as an informational picket line. Matakiewicz says these employees are service and tech professionals and they have been working without a contract for nine months.  He says the two sides... Read More →

Tags: , , , , , ,

Photo: Terje Canavarro/Freelance photographer -- Demonstrators carried signs like, "Justice for Janitors" in Media District of Burbank March 30, 2012

Photo Gallery: Demonstration in Burbank

Freelance photographer Terje “Terry” Canavarro caught this demonstration in the Media District of Burbank last Friday, March 30. Canavarro says  the demonstrators were “…a few hundred strong!” The march is one of several held across the nation recently protesting the alleged inequity of the 1% of the wealthiest Americans and the other 99%. SEIU reportedly represents more than 100,00 janitors and is working to create jobs and improve working conditions.

Tags: , , , , , ,